Saturday, March 29, 2014

Frizzun Chickun Pls

            Siblings often see more of us in than we do ourselves. My sister sees me with absolute clarity. Sydney knows my every vice, habits, and secret. If there is any person I can look to to find out who I will become, it's her. And I guess it goes both ways for us. There is a certain freedom in being utterly weird when you have someone else to share it with. Few people know how awesome my sister's weird side is. It brings more laughter and light to my life than any other person or any other funny thing in the world. That aside, she's prone to strange sayings and epiphanies. I finally just started writing them down whenever it happened. 

My childhood was mostly comprised of tormenting this small, loud beast with whom I shared a bedroom.  We had a three-year gap between us, which was, to my six-year-old, apple-juice-addled mind, the most exquisitely inconvenient age gap a set of siblings could share. For the next six years or so, I felt she hindered my potential genius. I felt like I'd been cheated. I was destined to be a modern-day shaman, but all I had for an apprentice was this super chill toddler that licked me on road trips until I was old enough to sit in the front seat.


        
            Being the philistine that she was, she had a hostile reaction to live music from a young age. One of my earliest memories of my sister is from when I was singing the Kenny Loggins song from Tigger Movie. 













            Ah, yes. I should probably explain. Some time ago we began to call each other Gooby. It has been our mutual nickname ever since.






            The majesty of siblinghood knows no bounds. Sydney and I share our deepest desires with each other. For example, she adores Tyson chicken nuggets. It is only through years of trust and friendship that I have realized that it's not just a friendly kind of love. It's a once-in-a-lifetime love, the desperate kind worthy of poetry and many tears. The way she asks me to buy them for her when we're buying groceries is heart-rending.
















            As I live with her, I am privy to her angsty musings. The teenage mind is a strange beast. From her theory for the reasoning behind celebrity crushes to the true nature of the moustache, I get to hear it all. For what these moments lack in relevance and sense, they make up for in comedic timing and quaintness, and listening to her rambles has an almost enlightening feel to it.





























            Mm. These are the days of our lives, man. I'm so glad I have the relationship I have with Sydney while we're this age. The stories of the times we've had make excellent blackmail.     





words and art copyright 2014 by Sabrina Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment